Wednesday, March 9, 2011

GMC Chart

Someone in my online writers group asked if everyone has their GMC chart done. I stared at the screen wondering what in the heck that was. Thankfully, she went on to explain that GMC stands for Goal, Motivation & Conflict. It's a way to map out what a character wants (goal), why she wants it (motivation) and what's keeping her from getting it (conflict). Debra Dixon wrote a book all about this. I ordered it today here.

I was amazed I hadn't heard of this before, at least that I remember. Thinking about the story I'm currently working on, I'm not real clear on what my main character is trying to get. That's probably why I've been having so much trouble writing.

So now I've been thinking about what Sophie, my main character, wants to achieve by the last page of her story. The first thing that popped in my head was that she just wants to clean up the mess she made. Why? Because the monster she unleashed is causing mayhem and hurting people she loves. What's stopping her? The monster is stronger and with his friends, she is outnumbered. It's an uphill battle, but an interesting one.

I love this, but I think it will make a better novel than trilogy. Which is fine since I'm just starting out. Then I thought about other messes Sophie could get herself and everyone else into. This could possibly be a series.

So, I think I'm going to make Sophie younger and set the series at a summer camp where each year until she turns 18, she and her campmates will have to help Sophie overcome whatever mischief she gets into. Of course, the story I started with will be the last book of the series since it should be handled by an older Sophie as opposed to a 12 year old one.

I'm really excited about this. It'll be the next Harry Potter. Now I'm off to create my world. Wish me luck and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment